Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Stream of Consciousness: My inner dialogue on Faith. Is it my priority?

     Hello readers. Do I have any readers? I will never really know. I believe my mom reads my blog. Thanks, Mom. and my sister. Thanks to you too, Mary.

     I have just entered week two of this Spring 2015 semester. So far, so good; my work load seems to be do-able. I have been struggling with prioritizing lately. Prioritizing my time and school work, church studies, family time, house work. Elder Scott recently taught in October General Conference, "Don’t yield to Satan’s lie that you don’t have time to study the scriptures. Choose to take time to study them. Feasting on the word of God each day is more important than sleep, school, work, television shows, video games, or social media." [You can read his complete talk, Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority, here.] Did you get that?? Feasting on the word of God is more important than SLEEP, SCHOOL, and WORK. That nearly knocked the wind out of me. While listening back in October, I realized that I am not making my faith a priority. I have been making sleep more important than Jesus Christ; sleep, work, and my studies. This was back in October; have I done much to improve? No, I don't think so. I believe I have still been putting off obedience. I have been neglecting to nurture my faith.

     I talked with one of my BFFs, Brooke, this morning. I shared with her that I was having my beginning of the school week freakout. I have one every first day back to school each week... yeah yeah, I know it's a waste of time and energy... She shared, "You know I have heard it really helps if you study the scriptures before homework. I've tried it and it seems to be helping." If I think about it, I've heard that too, from various friends and family members. And Elder Scott did say that scripture study is more important than sleep, school, and work. If I keep on feeling this anxiety over my priorities and time management, I need to make a change somewhere. I believe it would be worth it to put this suggestion to the test. So. I will. Here I write before you, anonymous readers, that I will read my scriptures before studying for school. Hear ye, hear ye! and I will return and report the results!

     Are you ready? I know I am. I will write back and let you know if it helps.

     {{{Spoiler allert! I'm pretty sure it will}}}
    
Happy Tuesday, everyone. :)

No comments: